The Evolution of the Paul Clarke Nonprofit Resource Center
Colleen Benninghoff, a dedicated fundraiser and grant writer, and Barbara Burt were instrumental in initiating the Allen County Public Library becoming a member of the Foundation Center’s Cooperating Collection Network.
- August – Allen County Public Library (ACPL) requests application to become a Cooperating Collection of the Foundation Center
- October – Cooperating Collection application submitted
- October – ACPL receives letters of support from the Fort Wayne Fine Arts Foundation and United Way of Allen County
- November – Open as a Cooperating Collection of the Foundation Center
- November – Laura McCaffery, Supervisor of the Collection since 1982 writes a summary of programs, statistics and makes recommendations for expansion of the Collection, including additional professional staff with nonprofit management experience.
Foellinger Foundation New Century Celebration Initiative: a $5 million comprehensive, multi-year effort to bring the best practices in organizational effectiveness to the Allen County nonprofit community.
- Taylor University – Institute for Organizational Effectiveness
- United Way – technical assistance & training to improve systems for outcome measurement
- Arts United of Greater Fort Wayne – audience development
- Allen County Public Library – expansion of the Foundation Center Cooperating Collection to enhance institutional capacity for providing grant research, assistance, and workshops to nonprofits. New staff to have background in nonprofit management, fundraising and grantwriting.
- Early in 2001 ACPL writes a grant to the Foellinger Foundation outlining the anticipated services of the expanded Cooperating Collection
- April – The position of Nonprofit Resource Center Coordinator is posted
- May – During a meeting with the United Way directors, Carol Nahrwold, the manager of the ACPL Readers’ Services Department, requests suggestions for workshops and services to be offered by the Nonprofit Resource Center.
- July – the Allen County Public Library Nonprofit Resource Center (NRC) opens
- NRC awarded General Operating grant from Foellinger Foundation
- NRC receives Paul Clarke Empowerment Services grant
- NRC collaborates with the Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne on the Go! Series
2007 – present
- In January 2007 the library moved back to 900 Library Plaza
- April 2007: The Nonprofit Resource Center is renamed the Paul Clarke Nonprofit Resource Center with support from an endowment of $1,312,500, established at the Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne from Paul Clarke Foundation funds, for continued operation.
- The Foellinger Foundation continues its’ generous support of the PCNRC with grants awarded for general operations.
The Paul Clarke Nonprofit Resource Center is a unique, professionally staffed resource, education and information center which provides assistance and resources to the Allen County and Northeast Indiana nonprofit communities.
We are supported by a grant from the Foellinger Foundation and funds from the Paul Clarke endowment held at the Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne
Allen County Public Library . 900 Library Plaza . Fort Wayne . 46801
Paul Clarke Nonprofit Resource Center
1st Floor, Readers’ Services Department