DESCRIPTION: The Executive Director is responsible for, in collaboration with the Artistic Director, the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Participate with the Board of Directors and Artistic Director in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the organization alongside the Artistic Director at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
Operational planning and management
- Work with the Artistic Director and other appropriate staff to develop an operational plan, which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and Funders
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services alongside the Artistic Director
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects in collaboration with the Artistic Director
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization’s mission
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures
Financial planning and management
- Work with staff and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Work with the Board, Artistic Director and Development Officer to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals (grants) to increase the funds of the organization
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
- BA (required), MA (preferred)
- 5+ years senior management experience.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget presentation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector.
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers.
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Strong public speaking ability.
Due to the number of resumes, you will be contacted only if chosen for an interview. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7. No phone calls please.