DATE: February 17, 2017
CLASS: Regular full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Marketing and PR plans, supervises, administers, and evaluates programs that meet or exceed attendance and ticket revenue goals for orchestra events while maximizing the visibility of the orchestra, consistent with Philharmonic policies and long-range objectives. As such, the Director of Marketing and PR will assist in the development of strategic plans, author yearly marketing and communications plans and manage all marketing and communications activities, including but not limited to: public relations (media relations, press, program books, and newsletters); advertising (print, electronic, and media); e-commerce/viral marketing/web marketing, season subscription and renewal campaigns (direct mail, telemarketing); all ticket sales (including box office management); audience research; new subscriber activities; and merchandising for the Philharmonic. Provide when necessary copy and accurate data for brochures, print campaigns, press kits, etc.
The Director of Marketing and PR will partner with her/his peers—the General Manager and the Directors of Development, Education and Community Engagement, Finance and Operations—while also being responsible for all departmental planning, organizing, operating, and staffing. S/he is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the departmental aspects of the annual budget in conjunction with the Director of Finance and Managing Director.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be a thought partner and enthusiastic collaborator with consulting firm TRG that is involved with planning all aspects of marketing and annual fund operations.
- Plan and implement all aspects of season subscription and renewal campaigns, including print, electronic, broadcast, ecommerce, social media, direct marketing and telemarketing. Utilize information from the Music Director and General Manager in the creation of all packages and sales campaigns.
- Plan and implement a year-round single ticket sales campaign, including the design and placement of print and electronic advertising, special promotions, and corporate sales. Oversee the work of outside contractors; provide weekly progress reports.
- Oversee the group sales program and other targeted ticket sales programs; monitor and report on results.
- Develop pricing strategies and policies that fulfill revenue/attendance goals. Research and recommend any special ticketing policies (i.e., exchanges) and subscription series makeup.
- Oversee ticketing operations. Ensure friendly, courteous service and customer satisfaction in ticket transactions; engage customer research if needed to establish sales/return policies. Direct the
development of internal information systems to ensure accurate and efficient ticketing systems; provide weekly ticket sales reports.
- Lead Inventory Management and Dynamic/Demand Pricing initiatives.
- Plan and implement all media placement and production. Develop and maintain strategic media partnerships.
Public Relations Management
- Develop program for communicating The Phil’s plans and activities to the media, including effective use of the Music Director. Work closely with the Managing Director in establishing positive contacts with local media outlets, and in conveying an image consistent with the Board’s policies and objectives for the Philharmonic. Maintain media contacts, act as spokesman for the Philharmonic as needed, and provide public information by request.
- Oversee the development and production of all materials used to support the Philharmonic’s public relations events and marketing campaigns, including subscription brochures, print ads, poster, signs, electronic media advertising copy, telemarketing scripts, press releases, newsletters, program book, annual report, and special promotions. Ensure the quality, consistency, and accuracy of all Philharmonic communications.
- Oversee the planning and development of special public relations events and new subscriber activities; coordinate with volunteers to carry out any proposed projects and ensure that the products are in keeping with the Philharmonic’s branding and image.
- Conduct audience and market research as needed; develop strategies based on survey analyses. Provide statistical and demographic information as requested.
Fiscal and Strategic Management
- Prepare and submit an annual operational budget to the Managing Director and Director of Finance for review and approval.
- Manage effectively within the budget and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Ensure the continued financial viability of the Philharmonic’s programs through sound fiscal management.
- Review monthly reports provided by the Director of Finance for accuracy. Report discrepancies to the Director of Finance and/or Managing Director.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to account for, invoice and collect relevant receivables.
- Work with the Managing Director and Director of Finance to ensure complete cash flow and financial forecasting reports for departmental areas.
- Identify organizational and market trends that may cause significant problems or present new opportunities for the Philharmonic; recommend a course of action or changes in the current operating plan that this information into account.
- Work closely with the Managing Director and any other designated staff in long-range planning for the Philharmonic; prepare budget projections as needed.
- Recommend policies and strategies to the Managing Director and Board with the goal of reaching new audiences for the orchestra; ensure that all new programs demonstrate the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local business and arts leaders to enhance Philharmonic’s community partnership efforts. Work to enhance public understanding of and support for the unique role of the orchestra in the community.
- Attend civic and cultural events in the community; represent the Philharmonic by speaking at public events as requested.
- Keep abreast of recent research and developments on marketing and public relations matters; maintain a collection of current resource materials.
- Partner with the Managing Director to represent the Philharmonic with external constituency groups, including community, governmental, and private organizations.
- Attend concerts of the Philharmonic to fulfill assigned concert duties.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship, of the Philharmonic by being actively involved in all programs and services. Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the program and service areas, focusing on systems/process improvement. Promote regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations.
- Lead a high performing team to the next level by further developing and implementing recruitment, training, and retention strategies.
- Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of the Philharmonic.
- Maintain current, valid driver’s license and liability insurance at all times on any personal vehicle used to conduct Philharmonic business.
- Participate in professional development of staff as directed.
- Must be responsible, and able to handle confidential material, organize effectively, and work independently.
- Assure that a positive image of the Philharmonic is portrayed at all times.
- Perform other relevant responsibilities as required.
- Develop and operationalize “Email Blasts”, including creating emails in MailChimp and pulling email lists from SRO (marketing queries).
- Maintain and update website across the organization.
- Act as Project Manager for all graphics projects – including obtaining information from Development and Operations Departments to adhere to deadlines.
- Assist with Graphic Design as needed (knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite preferred)
• Application Deadline: April 1, 2017
• Contact Name: Roxanne Kelker, Executive Assistant to the Managing Director
• Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: http://www.fwphil.org
• Application Procedure: Send letter of application and resume via email to the address above. No phone inquiries, please.