Are certain generations an enigma to you? Well, Society for Nonprofits’ magazine Nonprofit World recently published an article about generational giving. Their angle is to learn and share how and why each generation gives so that we in the nonprofit sector can better approach fundraising.
Below is a breakdown of some of the statistics.
|Generation X||Generation Y|
|U.S. population||62 million||83 million|
|Birth years||1960-1980||1980-to the present|
|Average annual contribution||$796.00||$341.00|
|How they learn about charities||1st – mainstream media||1st – mainstream media|
|2nd – word-of-mouth||2nd – word-of-mouth|
|Best way to solicit||By a friend||By a friend|
- Host events for young professionals.
- Recruit for board and committee roles.
- Engage in multi-channel communication.
- Ask young professionals to engage their peers.
- Offer tiered membership structures.
- Provide philanthropic resources and trainings.
To read the full article, stop by the PCNRC and check out the periodical – Nonprofit World, Volume 34, Number 2.