The Knight Cities Challenge is now accepting applications that address the question: What’s your best idea to make cities more successful? From a pool of $5 million, we’re looking to award funding at the city, neighborhood and block level, and all sizes in between.
Knight Foundation is hoping to attract a wide variety of applications from: activists, architects, artists, block captains, city officials, designers, educators, entrepreneurs, hackers, institutions, nonprofits, organizations, planning professionals, restaurant owners, social workers—everyone is welcome.
The challenge has just two rules:
- A submission may come from anywhere, but the project must take place or benefit one or more of the 26 communities where Knight invests
- The idea should address one or more of three drivers of city success:
- Talent: Does your idea help cities attract and retain talented people?
- Opportunity: Does your idea help improve economic prospects and break down divides between people of different incomes and between workers and today’s economy?
- Engagement: Does your idea encourage people to connect with their community and inspire them to become more involved in shaping its future?
Applying to the challenge is simple. The initial application asks just three primary questions about your project that should be answered in 100 words or less. If you would like to learn more about the Knight Cities Challenge, please attend an in-person community event in Fort Wayne. It will be held on Wednesday, October 7th at 3 pm at the Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne (555 E. Wayne Street); RSVP here RSVP@cfgfw.org .
To enter the challenge or for more information, go to knightcities.org and answer a few questions between October 1st through October 27th. For more information, follow @knightfdn and #knightcities on Twitter for updates and please help us spread the word.
The Knight Foundation wants to hear from you. Carol Coletta Vice President for Community and National Initiatives, will be on reddit’s Ask Me Anything on Oct. 2, answering your questions about city innovation, the Knight Cities Challenge and Knight Foundation — so come by and ask. To join, go to https://www.reddit.com/r/iama on Friday Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. ET and click on the thread titled “I’m Carol Coletta, VP for Community and National Initiatives at Knight Foundation. AMA about how to make cities more successful, the Knight Cities Challenge, the Foundation and everything else.”