The Ten Basic Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards is BoardSource’s all-time bestseller with over 175,000 copies sold.
Available at the library to check out, the book shows board members their responsibilities in nonprofit governance and how they can support the nonprofit they serve – and distinguishes their role from that of the role of the executive director.
Includes two appendixes:
- individual responsibilities of board members
- a sample self-assessment for individual board members
The Ten Basic Responsibilities are:
1. Determine mission and purposes
2. Select the chief executive
3. Support and evaluate the chief executive
4. Ensure effective planning
5. Monitor and strengthen programs and services
6. Ensure adequate financial resources
7. Protect assets and provide financial oversight
8. Build a competent board
9. Ensure legal and ethical integrity
10. Enhance the organization’s public standing